What is mobility support?
Mobility is a common issue for the elderly population and effective help can make your life significantly easier.
Many factors can affect mobility from neurological through to musculoskeletal and other diseases. It’s often the case that a combination of conditions are linked to cause mobility issues.
Mobility support packages from Care Concern are put in place to help you stay comfortable at home and manage the challenges that come with age. Bernadette is our moving and handling specialist who ensures care workers are trained to work with our clients. Amongst other things, she advises on mobility technique, aids and equipment.
Safe mobility support requires clear communication and appropriate mobility aids without requiring any lifting. If you have complex mobility needs, Bernadette will visit you before care starts and go on to train your care workers with you on a one-to-one basis to ensure they know exactly how to help you move safely in your home environment.
Read more about Bernadette and other team members in our About Us page.
Tailored mobility support at home
Staff are trained to work with equipment such as hoists and standing aids where these are required.
Other areas we can help with whilst setting up a mobility support package are:
- Raising referrals with your GP for an assessment from an occupational therapist if we feel you would benefit from some equipment e.g. recliner chair, hospital bed, commode. Mediquip deliver this equipment on behalf of the NHS.
- Accompanying clients to attend appointments.
- Helping clients to follow exercises prescribed by a physiotherapist.
- Post-operative support while you regain your mobility independence.
Other considerations around mobility support
If you feel you or an elderly family member is struggling with mobility and think they need help to live independently at home, these questions will help start the process:
- Is there a particular mobility issue linked to illness or is it age related?
- Are you a family carer and starting to struggle managing mobility?
- Do you need more experienced support to guide you through physiotherapy or post-operative care?
- Do you currently receive mobility support but need something different?
- Do you need experienced help to aid you or your loved one’s mobility?
If you’d like to talk through these questions or are ready to set up mobility support in and around the Chiswick and Ealing areas, why not get in touch to talk it through with us?
Mobility support at home for a Chiswick resident
Mira was scheduled to have a knee replacement in early 2021 and asked Care Concern to help her and her husband at home while she rehabilitated from her operation.
Initially, Mira had one daily visit in the morning to support her with personal care but quickly realised that she needed a little bit more support as her recovery was slower than she anticipated. At Mira’s request, Care Concern increased the care to three daily visits in the immediate few weeks after her operation, which eased the pressure on Mira and her family and allowed her to focus on her recovery.
Client, June 2021
“It was so nice to see Sarah this morning! She was helpful as ever. I am far better than I was after the first knee op. It is such a relief to know that I can always come to Care Concern at these times – it’s reassuring.”